Monday, June 15, 2015

It's "Finna" Storm

Have I told you all already about the word "finna"? It means "fixin to" but in shorter language. I love texas. But anyways. I don't want to freak you all out but there is a storm heading our way. We probably won't proselyte tomorrow, but just wanted to let you all know so that if you hear news about it, just know that we will be okay! Our leaders are taking good care of us and God will protect us! We don't know what else will happen this week but I am sure we will be able to let you all know.

This week was amazing! BIGGEST NEWS:
ALEJANDRO RECEIVED PERMISSION FROM SALT LAKE TO BE BAPTIZED!!!! We are SO excited. I wasn't there when Hermana Hurst got to tell him, because I was on exchanges, but he will be baptized this next Sunday :) Happy Father's Day daddio! We are really happy and Alejandro is very excited. I will let you know how all that goes!! 
In case you didnt remember-- sorry I have been bad at keeping up with people we teach, but Alejandro is married to Janet, who was baptized the transfer before I was moved into Pecan Park- we have been teaching him the whole time I have been here and baptism is something he really wants- really their ultimate goal is to be sealed in the temple. They are the greatest! I love them so so so much :)
The reason I wasn't with my companion to tell Alejandro was because I was on exchanges with Hermana Conrad- we went to her area and RICKY ALSO GOT PERMISSION TO BE BAPTIZED! :) He was the one that Hermana Conrad, Hermana Bidstrup and I found in a Taco Cabana when we were on exchanges. We taught him lesson one and committed him to be baptized right there in the taco restaurant while it was pouring rain outside. He was an INCREDIBLE miracle and he will be baptized this Saturday, so I am extremely excited for this weekend :) 
We have the CUTEST VIDEO ever of him finding out that he can get baptized! I will show it to you after the mission I guess! 

I don't know if I had found this out by last week, but JOSE, the one that we had found that wanted to be taught and attend church in English, has a baptismal date for the 11 of July! We are super happy for him and the Elders are doing work with him-- so even when things that you love are taken, just trust that God has things better in store and He will take control! I have been learning that lesson the hard way with quite a few investigators lately, but things are all working out! 

This week we have gotten REFERRALS/TEACHING OPPORTUNITIES FROM MEMBERS! Aka the greatest thing a missionary can get EVER! :) It has really boosted our morale and given us more people to teach. We are stoked. 

The first was when we were with a Recent convert family that we are trying to take to the temple. We were teaching them and showed them a video called "the Hope of God's Light". The whole time we were watching it, the son was crying and said, "Mom that was like me. Thats what I felt like. That is how I learned" etc. It was a really spiritual moment, and then afterwards we were leaving and his girlfriend (they are probably late 20s)-- she said to us, "Hey so I have been thinking, and I was wondering when I could start my classes". We were pretty confused and asked what classes she was talking about, then she told us that she wanted to take the lessons!! She said that she had been listening to the mother of this family as she read her scriptures out loud, she had asked a lot of questions, and she wants to start coming to church! :) We are really excited to teach her :)) (She came to church on Sunday and she really liked it!)

This week we spent a lot of time serving-- I think that is what is getting us in with the members so much more. We made 150 cookies one morning and divided them up on plates and made a bunch of deliveries and asked what we could do for the members. One family we went to visit, the mom invited us right in and we went inside to her UNFINISHED HOUSE. They don't have any sinks set up, they all sleep in the same room, (her husband and 2 kids and herself). It is a really nice house but they just moved in and are remodeling it while they live there. The kitchen was PACKED with boxes. It was crazy. So we asked what we could do, and initially, she said nothing. But we talked to her for a while, and she showed us around the house, and there was SO much to be done. So we asked again what we could do and made some suggestions about where we could start. We spent a couple hours at her house moving boxes into the attic, playing with her kids so she could get things done, cleaning and organizing toys, etc etc. She was SO grateful. The next time we went over there, her daughter RAN up to us and gave us these butterfly notes she had written on. She called us her special friends and asked if we could keep coming over forever. It was heart melting. And she made us cookies and drew on the plate which cookies were for Hurst and which cookies were for Rogers. It was SO sweet.
That member brought a friend to church on Sunday :) 

Okay one other miracle! We were on bikes all day Saturday, and at one point, we pulled over and went to this gas station to use the restroom. As we were walking out and unlocking our bikes, we saw this guy-- we were walking past and he yelled out to us, "Wait. What church are you guys from?" We told him who we were and he asked if we teach people. He basically just said, well will you write down all my information and come teach me sometime? I am free on Sundays!" It was so cool how Heavenly Father puts us where we need to be, even if it is entirely unexpected opportunities like that! 

Sunday night we went and visited a bunch of people! We finally found our long-lost investigator Eric that we had been looking for this whole transfer. Turns out he was in San Antonio for work and just barely got back. We just happened to see him outside as we were driving past- we had thought he was ignoring us. 

We also finally for ahold of Carolina- the mother of the 3 little boys (the 10 year old that was giving really profound super sweet answers during our first lesson with them). She said that her sons would be gone for most of the summer except the youngest one, but it was so good to see her again! She said that we could go by and visit her anytime! Hopefully from now on she will be a little easier to get ahold of! ;) 

We also contacted and taught an adorable little group of old ladies at a McDonald's one morning :) It was super fun and turns out one of them is childhood friends with a member of our ward! They are both from the same place in Mexico! So fun! :) 

Anyways that was the big events of our week in a nutshell! Look forward for an exciting email for next week haha it should be an interesting and eventful one that's for sure. I will try and be better about including things I am studying about and learning in my emails home! Today I forgot my study journals and notes from everything but it has been a great week!
I love you all so much! Hope you have a great week!

Hermana Rogers

By the way we are getting calls this Friday night to find out if I will be leaving this area-- I really hope I don't, but it is a possibility. I would leave next Monday. But that will be news for next week I guess! I love you all! :)
Helaman 5:12
And now my sons, remember, remember that is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment